Pedal by Andean foothills and deep into the wine culture found at world famous Cousiño Macul winery. Our playground for this two hour experience has been surrounded by Santiago’s urbanization over its 140 year history and is super easy to get to by metro. First we’ll spend 45 minutes cruisin’ through the grounds and ancient vines on our bikes and then walk amongst barrels of the family’s personal wine collection in their century-old bodega, which includes a majestic french cellar. Stories and wine worth savoring will be the theme of this tour. You, riding a green bike, on vacation in the middle of a vineyard, the Andes towering in the background. That’s enough to make anyone jealous, and makes a darn good screensaver.
Why take THIS tour, Why THIS tour with La Bicicleta Verde? There’s a secret oasis inside of Santiago, a family owned vineyard call Cousiño Macul. You could always go with a busload of tourists on your own tourist bus or you could be more green, local, and have a lot more fun doing it by bike with La Bicicleta Verde. You’ll learn how to make wine and how it’s changed over the years. There’s no better way to escape the city for a few hours than relaxing here in the grapeful air.
Why cycle with us? We are the ONLY bike tour allowed inside Cousiño Macul vineyard. We chose to lead a tour here because of its central location, but they chose us because as a small company we support their family-owned values. The Green Gurus (aka your local guides) know everything, seed to grape, about the water of the gods! BTW: Since we designed the tour in 2012 we have worked so that it improves with every harvest. Each Guru is bilingual, loves wine, and refuse to pass out the generic, scripted tour info. Check out our mad reviews on TripAdvisor if you still aren’t convinced.
Who should NOT take this tour? Our list of unhappy customers clearly states that hard-core cyclists think our 4-5 km gentle route is just not exhausting enough. If you wear bike shorts to this outing, you will be disappointed. Visitors looking for the cheapest deal should take a big bus tour for half the price. We charge a price to make our tours viable over the long term for our city, the staff, and the vineyard while delivering the small-group, boutique experience. Three of our managers started their internship with us and decided to make it their career out of love…don’t treat us like Walmart.
If you not based in Santiago, rather Valparaiso, check out our Casablanca Bike and Wine Experience.
- Start Time11:00 am or 3:00pm
- Price$50 USD (Prefer private?)
- Duration2-2.5 hours
- AvailabilityThe vineyard is open from Mondays - Saturday (closed on Sundays)
- StartViña Cousino Macul. You get there by metro (Stop Quilín) + taxi. Bikes are waiting at the vineyard! We can arrange pick up for an extra charge with private tours
- Distance4-5 km by bicycle
- DifficultyRelaxed, but be confident on your bike
- ChildrenAvailable for children ages 2 and up - please request with prior notice
- Group SizeAverage 6, Max 12, insuring you a boutique experience.
- What to BringCash for a taxi (around $3,000 clp each way) comfy clothes, sunscreen
- InclusionsWater, helmet, bilingual guide, your green machine and 4 tastings
- Not IncludedInsurance, gratuities for the guide
Meet Your Guide at the Vineyard
Meet your green T-shirted guide at the vineyard located within Santiago city limits, where we will give you a green bike, a bottle of water, and a wine glass to put in your basket. Then, nestled between the Andes, the winery is waiting and ready for us to pedal right through the middle of it!
A surprised customer wrote on TripAdvisor that she “couldn’t believe that there could be a vineyard so close to the city” (Claire, Sydney).
After the first hour of weaving our way through the 80 year old vines, we stop to talk about how Cousiño Macul was born, including the grapes, and what is special about this family-owned vineyard.
Our guide sneaks a bottle out of the bodega so we can enjoy a tasting between the vines. We will ‘salud’ and learn how to smell, taste, and enjoy the wine (you don't need to be a wine snob to enjoy)!
Once the glasses are empty we are only a light peddle away from the wine cellar. You won’t be disappointed by this 1874 cellar built by French architects. While the century-old residence is on the property, we respect the 6th generation family and stick to biking through their vineyard instead of exploring their personal and private home.
4 Wine Tastings
Next hour: With 100 year old authentic wooden barrels towering over us, your Guru will explain the wine making process, as we walk through the cellar. Onwards we go, seeing equipment used to make wine from the 20s and 30s. A super relaxing morning/afternoon will be had, accompanied by 4 tastings. Ask us anything, we are certain to know (especially if it's are about wine).
Don’t forget to check out the wine shop at the end for some affordable vino to take home… or just drink.
PS: We’ll arrange a taxi to drop you off right at the metro when you are finished with your wine… Cheers to that!
- Mjmelchiori: The wines were amazing and the views of the surrounding area amazing! I highly recommend taking a tour with this company...
- Paula S.: I would highly recommend this tour to anyone looking to have a good time and learn something new in the process...
- Claire D.: This a great way to spend a few hours in Santiago. We had a good sized group for the bike & wine tour of about 9 people...