Maddy’s First Weeks at La Bicicleta Verde!
My First Week at La Bicicleta Verde
- From the USA (PA)
- 18 y/o
- Loves to travel
- Passionate about sustainable tourism
- Sugar addict!
- Certified yoga teacher
La Bicicleta Verde – bicycle tours through Santiago & surrounding wineries
Tours4Tips – Wally walking tours in Santiago, Valparaiso, Viña del Mar & San Pedro
Chile Guru – extended excursion tours to Easter Island, Patagonia & Atacama Desert
Day 2 on the job & already a barbeque party (asado)?!?
There was lots of pebre (tomato, onion, spicy pepper salsa), veggies, carne, pollo, beer & pisco. It was a good way to get to know and interact with everyone working at La Bicicleta Verde, Tours4Tips and Chile Guru!
What I have been doing
- Taking the walking tours
- Training on programs like Trello, Rezdy, TouristLink, Active Campaign & Olark
- Hanging out with a lot of super awesome employees & interns!!!
Taking the Tours
Offbeat Morning Walking Tour with Camille
- Barrio Esmeralda
- Mercado Central
- La Vega
- General Cemetery
Highlights Afternoon Walking Tour with Alonso
- Parque Forestal
- La Moneda
- Plaza de Armas
- Quiltro – stray dog (which all city inhabitants are expected to take care of)
- Pololo – girlfriend/boyfriend
- Bacán – super awesome/cool (used in other S.A. countries but very frequently in Chile)
No Me Gusta
- Terremotos (the drink consisting of white wine, pineapple ice cream & grenadine) – I like sugar but this was a bit too sweet, even for me!
- Mayonnaise on everything! Why?
- Barrio Lastarria – I don’t live here but there are a ton of cute cafes, restaurants & ice cream shops that I will definitely be frequenting!
- Chilean Wine – Carménère (no need to explain more, you have to try it for yourself!)
- La Vega Market – A massive market consisting mostly of fruits & veggies to help fulfill my love of grocery/market shopping in Santiago
- Parque Forestal – A beautiful park right outside of our office to get a breath of fresh air in this big city
- Alfajores, Empanadas & Sopaipillas – Delicious treats that are all super unhealthy but so worth it
- (and so much more!)
Week one is complete but I never want it to end! Sending my application to La Bicicleta Verde was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I fall more in love with Santiago everyday & am constantly learning! Three months is going to go by way too fast!